Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Training with Uriah Faber

I finally made it to Vegas this morning. (Thanks to Gian for picking me up at the airport and taking me to Throwdown. It was good seeing you again after all these years.) I'll be writing up a full report for PinoyMMA on the camp later, so I won't go into much detail right now.

Uriah Faber, WEC Featherweight Champion, lead the show today at Throwdown's fight camp. He focused on wrestling for MMA. I thought the material he covered was great and enjoyed his teaching style and his added insight. I liked how he focused on a specific area that "MMA wrestlers" often neglect to teach well. I also appreciated how Uriah took the time to show me and my partner (Josh) a number of advanced moves and variations--in addition to what was shown to other camp. He's a friendly and open fighter. He invited me to train with him and his guys at his camp, and if I'm ever in his area, I'll definitely pay him a visit. In fact, if any of you are in Sacramento, check out his gym (Ultimate Fitness).

After the day's activities, we all went to dinner (Uriah, Arianny Celeste, Tracy Lee, Justin Lopez, et al). We enjoyed some good Japanese food and some good laughs. Some of us were planning to go out, but it seems everyone got tired. I was planning to go out to meet some friends, but jet lag is hitting me, again. In fact, I was sleepy and tired throughout the entired day. I brought my camera to take some pics but I was too sleepy and tired to do so. I'm surprised I lasted the entire day.

Anyway, tomorrow is going to be a long day of training, and Robert Drysdale will be handling most of the instruction. I have a feeling the training will be just as good as today's sessions. Sim Go also dropped by today to check things out, and will most likely be training tomorrow. That's all for now. I have to crash...

No comments: