Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Friday, April 18, 2008

Training for a Mixed Martial Arts Fight - Some Footage

Today I woke up and felt like it was one of those days. My shoulder was really killing me from training last night; I've been thinking non-stop about some projects; and I've been busy doing a lot of other things. So, today I said, "F--- this." I decided to take the day off and do no work at all.

This morning, I did some power training followed by sprints. Early in the afternoon, I was craving deep dish pizza, so I ate some "healthy," greasy pizza. An hour and a half later, I felt like training so I headed over to the gym. Two Undisputed fighters have a match next week and it's the tail end of their training. I wasn't planning to train today because of my shoulder. That's one of the reasons I thought it would be okay to go crazy on some pizza. But, I'm stubborn when it comes to injuries. Again I said, "F--- this." So, I went--it wasn't a great idea. I felt like hurling each round, and after sparring with Baret for my third round, I had to call it quits for the day.

Because the competition is next week, we aren't trying to kill one another. The last thing we want to do is hurt the fighters when fight night is around the corner. I didn't film all the rounds but Philip, the first guy you'll see doing consecutive rounds, did 3 continuous rounds, then rested a round, then sparred a fourth. The second guy, Herman, did 3 continuous rounds with guys rotating in every 3 minutes. It sucks to be the "man-in-the-middle." Rounds are 6 minutes with 45 seconds rest. You can easily see as the rounds progress, the fighters get tired quickly. Anyone would get tired if they were sparring consecutive rounds while fresh guys rotate in to spar. Anyway, here's some sparring footage from earlier today.


No comments: