Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back to San Diego

(Beluga Whale Exibit at the Shedd Aquarium)

Well, the weekend is over and I'm heading back to San Diego tomorrow. I was supposed to teach a private today, and I wanted to train a little, but I ended staying out pretty late last night; so, those plans went out the window. Instead, I spent the day in the city with my brother, my sister-in-law, and my nieces. We spent the day at the Shedd Aquarium and met up with some New Breed students for dinner. I wish I could have trained, but it seemed like there was no time.

Last night was fun, although the "bar" we went to seemed more like a club in the Philippines, rather than a Chicago, or even, Hawaiian bar. There were a ton of Filipinos at the place. My friend even sported a Philippine jacket! He had no clue that the majority of the people would be Pinoy. I was surprised to see a girl (Janet) I knew from 6th to 8th grade working at the bar (I dated one of her friends for a while). When I walked into the place, we looked at each other a number of times and she looked really familiar. When my brother mentioned her name, it all came back to me. I knew it in Jr. High. I knew she was going to be a very "talented" woman.

(With one of my best friends in grade school, Nick .)

(Very talented...)

Some reporters from ABS-CBN were covering the opening of the club. They took footage of the activities inside and also pulled people aside for interviews. While the reporters were interviewing an owner (I think), one of our friends (Kuan)--who always has too much to drink--decided to get some camera time. Btw, Kuan decided to take a leak in a trash can instead of a toilet (I have evidence!), and he pretty much got us kicked out of the next place we went to!

(Kuan showing his abs to the video camera.)

My Chicago trip was short, but it was nice to see my brother and his family, to catch up with old friends, and to help the guys at New Breed Chicago. I'm happy to see that the school is doing well. The team has become one to reckon with in competition. Moreover, I like how the team has built a strong sense of camaraderie among its members. Pretty much all of the members hang out regularly inside and outside of the academy. A good number of students from other schools have switched academies because of the open and friendly atmosphere. If you're in Chicago and you want good training, check out New Breed. Look for my brother Mark and he'll take care of you.

(Nick and Mark rolling before the seminar.)


(Some rolling before the seminar.)

I didn't get to take the video footage that I wanted, so I won't be posting video. However, I will eventually put some video clips up that cover some of the techniques that I taught during the seminar.

To the guys in Chicago reading this, it was good seeing all of you and keep training hard. Hopefully I'll be back in Chicago again soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Myles it was great seeing you again. The technique you showed at the seminar was awesome and very detailed. Thanks for everything. Hope to see you soon.

Nick

Anonymous said...

myles, sorry i couldn't make it out and drink with you guys, had other engagements with the in-laws. it was great to see, thanks for the seminar and get back here soon. and since none of us took notes, please post vids so i have something that i can go back to.

mike

Myles Vives said...

Cimmarusti brothers! Was nice to catch up even if it was only for a short while. Glad you guys are settling down (I'm glad I'm not).

About the seminar, I covered some good brabo and rear mount attacks and defenses, so you might want to ask my brother about them.

Keep in touch.

Nexus said...

...shirts :P