Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Taking Notes at MMA Seminars or Classes


Since I started training, I've generally taken notes at every seminar I've gone to. If I attended a class, the first chance I got, I pencil out exactly what I learned in class. I'd consult my notes almost every day and practice what I wrote down. Beside each technique, I would write down any questions I had or problems I encountered. If, after a while of testing, certain techniques worked, I placed a check mark next to them. If they didn't work well, I put an X next to them. I have several years worth of notes in small notebooks tucked away in the Philippines. I have about half a dozen other journals that listed and organized all the "checked" techniques. I also have several other notebooks I set aside just for private lessons.

I never really thought about taking notes much because it just came natural to me. Lately, however, I'm beginning to pay more attention to how others learn. While I was in the Philippines just a week ago, I observed how some students diligently wrote down notes and asked good questions during my seminar (and also at the classes I taught). I was glad to see this. In contrast, at the fight camp over the weekend in Vegas, only one person took notes. I have a feeling many of the participants are going to forget a lot of the techniques that were taught--too bad. I, on the other hand, have the 63 techniques that I wanted documented listed in my handy cell phone. (Oh, you might find it interesting that the only person taking notes--besides me--was a Filipino. Also, if you're wondering, no I did not break out my cell phone and take notes while Uriah, etc. were teaching. I guess building good habits from years of note taking and studying the law/business helps me remember techniques long enough to retain until I have a chance to write everything down.)

(A screen shot of some of my notes if you don't believe me.)

Think about the most successful students when you were in school. Did they get straight As without taking notes, going over class discussions, or practicing what was taught? Probably not. Most top students, regarding any topic/subject, take notes that they review regularly. So why don't you? If you want to get good, as fast as you can, you have to do more than the "competition." You want to be better than the guy to your left or right? Then always do more than what's required.

So how do you take notes? Well, there are so many different ways and taking notes is a very comprehensive subject. The best method of note taking depends on many factors such as how you learn best, your study habits, who is teaching you and how, etc. But, when it comes to taking notes for MMA/BJJ classes, seminars, and privates, I find that many people agree with these tips:

1) Try to name techniques. If you can't, don't stress. However, naming does help in retention and recall because it helps you organized techniques neatly.

2) Take down your own notes and don't rely on someone else's notes. Most of the time, you won't be able to completely understand another person's descriptions. You might miss a lot of detail to techniques, too.

3) Use a pen/pencil and a small notebook. Jot down your notes when appropriate, and as soon as possible. Soon after your training session, find a time to go over your notes and transfer everything that was on paper, to an electronic format. Why? Because people who take notes and leave them in notebooks, tend to let the notebooks pile up and hardly ever look at them. Soft copies of notes are so convenient that you can take them with you anywhere or access them easily from many locations.

4) Generally, steer away from "video note-taking," especially if you aren't a good visual learner. First, just like the notebooks piling up, if you have video, you'll probably say to yourself that you can always go over the video whenever you want and you'll end up hardly ever watching the video. Second, people who take videos tend to pay less attention during the actual lesson because they tell themselves they can just go over the video later. Again, most people won't watch an entire video.

Sounds like a lot of work? Yes and no. It's all relative and the results will vary. But, history and experience indicate that people who take notes develop a better understanding of techniques and can apply them sooner and more effectively than others.

No comments: