Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sore Necks and Throats

The No-Gi Chokes seminar went well. I saw a number of familiar faces, including my best friends in elementary school. IFL fighter Chris Albandia, who looks like a Filipino version of Wolverine--I mean that in a good way, also attended the seminar and was very open and receptive to learning new techniques. I covered three main submissions: the guillotine, the brabo choke, and the rear naked. I taught how to transition into the chokes and showed a number of variations and positions that can help one effectively execute the techniques. I also went on to show defenses to the chokes, including the anaconda choke.

I was glad to have participants come to me after the seminar to let me know they were happy with the new techniques and details they learned. Unfortunately, no one took notes. So, I hope they remember everything.

I'm heading out in a little while so I won't be able to post pics or video right now, but I will tomorrow, hopefully. Tonight should be interesting. A bunch of the guys are getting together at a place called Tiki Terrace. From the name of the place, I like it already--hula girls, friends, drinks...good fun. If I'm not too lazy, I may carry my camera around and take some pics. If I do, I plan to get some of the guys drunk and video them hitting on girls. Haha.

2 comments:

Nexus said...

Sorry I left early but in the short time I was there I felt I learned a lot. Your style of teaching works well.

Myles Vives said...

It was great meeting you. I'm glad you learned some new moves. We covered a good number of details/positions after you left, so you might want to find out what else was covered from other attendees.