Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Monday, April 14, 2008

Mike Banayad Versus Alcer Lozada: Who Do You Think Won?

I visited some friends from Manila who were in LA yesterday. I didn't plan on hanging out the entire day, but one thing lead to another and I had no time to get online. But, I'm back online now. I've been sitting at my desk all day valuing stocks and bonds. Fun stuff.

It's time for a break so I want to write a quick entry about some video clips I came across today. The videos are from the latest Fearless Fighting Championship event at Metrowalk. The fight between Mike Banayad and Alcer Lozada. I thought the match was entertaining. The first 2-3 minutes of the match were the best because both fighters displayed intensity-- I felt like I was watching a Tim Sylvia fight the second and third rounds.

The match does show how "home grown" MMA fighters still have a long way ahead of them if they want to do well against international competition. But, the two fighters showed a lot of heart, and with the right guidance and training, I think both fighters can only improve. I was really surprised with Lozada, and liked his intensity in the first half of round one. I also liked how Banayad seemed calm throughout the match and worked counter punching. I did see a number of holes and opportunities that both fighters should know about (this will be their trainers' job). One example: while Mike worked good counter punching, he seemed to be anticipating Lozada's right leg kick too early. Mike was dropping his left hand to grab the kick and counter with a right cross/hay maker. He timed some attempts well, but on other occasions, Lozada would simply make a slight movement with his write hip/shoulder or throw a light right kick, and without fail, Banayad would drop the left hand. I think Lozada could have, and should have, capitalized on this. It seemed like Lozada wanted a one-punch knock out, and this might have been his only opportunity.

The match was declared a majority draw (i.e. two judges decided on a draw while the other judge gave the match to Banayad). Apparently, a good number of people disagree with the judges. If the fight were based solely on round one, I would have given Lozada the match. Lozada showed little offense and kept backing away in rounds 2 and 3 which probably didn't look good to the audience, etc. Although, Banayad didn't overwhelm Lozada. Technically, based on GAB scoring, I would give Banayad the win. However, I can understand how the two judges decided on a draw.

Here are rounds 1 to 3. Who do you think won? (Note: The video is unclear and shaky at some points, so if you felt like throwing up when you watched Cloverfield, you might not be able to watch this. j/k)







No comments: