Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Improve Your Flexibility to Increase Performance

For several months I haven't been able to do much power or strength training because of my shoulder injury. In fact, I think I've hit the weights only twice in more than four months. As a result, I've been doing more endurance/conditioning work and improving my flexibility. I notice that in many schools and gyms throughout the world, a good number of athletes do not spend as much time as they should stretching. Even worse, some people try to improve their flexibility incorrectly and get injured or pull their muscles. While in the Philippines and watching guys prepare for training, and after training, so many students take proper stretching lightly.

Now, I know a handful of good grapplers and fighters who hardly ever stretch (whether it's before, during, or after a training session. These guys are good and have pretty good flexibility, but tend to get injured more often and have more aches and pains on a daily basis compared to other people. I've also gone through months when I never stretched. I would simply head to training and would roll right away. I felt that my performance was ok and I didn't get injured, but when I compare my performance to when I do devote time to a good warm up and stretching routine (and also a cool down stretching routine), I feel that I perform much better and have less muscle soreness.

There are many excellent online resources, magazine articles, and books on stretching and flexibility, so I will not go into specific stretches or routines. I want to remind all of you to spend quality time stretching and improving your flexibility. The numerous benefits outweigh the costs.

The benefits?

1) Helps prevent muscular aches, pains, and cramping
2) Reduces the possibility of muscular soreness/fatigue
3) Decreases the possibility of causing a muscular injury
4) Increases muscles' efficiency/effectiveness of movement (increased range of movement in joints)
5) Increases energy levels and performance

The major cost?

1) Time

I think taking 15-20 minutes a days is well worth it, especially if you incorporate your stretching routine into your everyday training sessions.

One training method that I would like to share that always helps me improve my flexibility fast is to use proper breathing methods in combination with proper stretching technique (As I mentioned, however, I will not go into explaining stretching techniques). I discovered how breathing properly really helps when stretching while I did several yoga classes. In a nutshell, it's a good idea to execute your stretch while exhaling. Once you've reached your limit, hold the stretch and take long and relaxed breaths-- for as long as you are planning to hold the stretch. When you've reached your desired time, inhale deeply and "imagine" the air flowing to and filling the muscle you are stretching. Then, exhale slowly and "push" your stretch even further for another set of 30/60 seconds, or however long you like. I do this three times for each body part.

Be patient and give your stretching routine some time. In a few weeks you'll feel a difference. In a few months, you'll have greatly improved your flexibility.

No comments: