Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Monday, March 24, 2008

Teaching Starting in May; Visiting Chicago; and Heading Back to the Philippines

I've been pretty stressed out the past few days with a lot of things, but everything is good. My head wasn't in the right place to train today, but I went anyway to loosen up. I took it light and did a few rounds on the bags to test my shoulder--still a lot of pain. Each day I'm more inclined to get surgery. I will probably wait till after the summer though, and I will first get a MRI to see if there are other problems going on with my shoulder.

Baret left for Japan already for his fight in Shooto. He'll be fighting on Friday, so I wish him the best of luck! I'll be rooting for him.

I had lunch with the owner of an upcoming LA Boxing franchise in Rancho Pensaquitos. He confirmed that I will start teaching BJJ and MMA classes in May. Because of my personal work, study, and training schedule, I'll probably be teaching only 2-3 times per week. I'll be working with two other instructors to run the BJJ/MMA program. The gym sounds like it's going to have a good set up so I'm excited to check it out.

I'm leaving for the Philippines tomorrow for a short trip, and will head to Vegas from there for Throwdown's fight camp with Uriah Faber, Robert Drysdale, et al. (Of course I'll be hanging and catching up with fellow Pinoys, Justin and Mike. I'm also going to try and meet up with some old friends who live in Vegas.) The third week of April, I'll be spending a few days in LA and will be training while I'm there, and I'm planning to be in the Bay Area beginning of May. In between, I am going to visit my brother Mark in Chicago and do some training and teach a seminar. I have 8 free flights on Northwest and 2 on Cathay, so I'm planning to fly around for fun. While traveling, I'll be sure to drop in and train at different schools.

I've got to pack so I'll end this entry here. Because I'll be on a plane and because of the difference in time, I may or may not be able to update my blog with an entry or two; but, I will if I find time in between flights.

2 comments:

Nexus said...

Coming to Chicago...nice!

Never met you but I train at Mark's gym. Look forward to meeting and training with you.

Myles Vives said...

Hey Nexus,

That's great. Looking forward to meeting you as well. I haven't penciled out the exact dates, but I'm thinking of the last week of April. We'll see.