Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Monday, March 17, 2008

More MMA Training and the Importance of Good Training Partners

(UFC Fighter John "War Machine" Koppenhaver coaching)

I had a busy morning and didn't get a chance to do my sprints. On a normal day I wouldn't have trained today because of my work load, but I want to help Baret out for his upcoming fight. Baret was the "man-in-the-middle" for a number of 6 minute rounds. Bob, Philip, and I took turns rotating in, so Baret was always facing a fresh opponent. Going straight for a good number of rounds, against fresh sparring partners, is no easy task and will make anyone extremely tired. In MMA, you have to pay attention to and practice different aspects of the game: clinch work, fighting while your back is against the ropes, avoiding punches and kicks, etc. It's definitely hard work and it takes a lot of drive and determination to keep going.

Baret did his rounds and then Bob, Philip, and I helped out another fighter who has a fight coming soon, too. Sean/Shawn hand his chance to be the "man-in-the-middle." After the sparring was over, Baret and Bob decided to head to a nearby track and do sprints. He asked me if I wanted to do some sprints, but I had left my running shoes at home. I really wanted to join them because I missed out on my morning conditioning. I'll make sure to always bring a pair of running shoes with me now when I train. I decided to just roll for about 30 minutes then watched the MMA class for a while and took a few pics (below).

During our sparring session today, the importance of having good training partners popped into my head. We all probably know that if you want to get good at anything, you ought to surround yourself with good people who want you to succeed. But, as the fighter training, you also have to have some trust in your training partners. While Baret was sparring, everyone focused on his movements and motivated him the entire time. Throughout his training, "War Machine," Bob, and I were giving Baret advice and tips from our perspective. Baret was the most experienced fighter there, but he welcomed our insight. In fact, he encourages us to tell him what he's doing right or wrong. Ultimately, Baret will be fighting and he is smart and experienced enough to take everyone's advice as a whole--he'll keep what is useful to his game, and scrap what he thinks will not work for his fight.

As a training partner, it's important to be a coach. You are out there to help your friend/ fighter/instructor/training partner get ready for competition. You can't take it easy, but at the same time, you can't hurt your fighter before an upcoming fight. As the fighter, you need to have an open mind and listen to what your partners say. They have a better chance of seeing things that you might not notice while sparring. MMA can be considered a team sport in a way. You need to find a solid group of guys, that you trust, to help you be your best.

In a few days, I'll blog about some MMA and BJJ training methods you can implement in your regiment.

(Here are several pictures I took of some students sparring in the MMA class.)




No comments: