Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the Philippines - Blue Belt Requirements

Since I started teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, one of the most common questions I encountered was, "What do I need to do to get my [color] belt?" It's not surprising in an art that uses belt ranks and in a society that seems to respect higher ranking martial artists more than others. I would always encourage my students to not get too caught up with the color of their belt and assured them that if they kept training hard and focused on improving their skills, the belts would come in time. Some students took what I said to heart, while others were, and still are, too focused on belt color.

Nonetheless, around 2002 or 2003 (if I recall correctly), I came out with a set of Blue Belt requirements that I thought any solid Blue Belt ought to know. Now, these requirements were the minimum technical requirements needed to be considered for the belt, but did not guarantee you would be promoted. All of us who have been training for a while know it takes much more than just memorization to "move up the ladder."

I wanted to share with you what I outlined as requirements for blue about 5-6 years ago, and how the past years have changed (or maybe I should say, reinforced) the requirements I set forth for my students. I demonstrated specific techniques in detail to my students, and have a Blue Belt Workshop I held on video. Below is just a brief outline of the requirements. So, when I say 5 side mount escapes, there were certain basic ones I wanted everyone to know. In addition, there are details that I'm omitting to make the outline shorter (e.g. posture-where to place your arms, legs, etc. in certain positions).

Note: I'm writing this quickly in between classes so I might have overlooked a certain area.

1. Forward, backward rolls/forward, backward, and side break falls
2. Basic hip movements
3. Escapes
a. 5 Side Mount Escapes
b. 3 Mount Escapes
c. 3 Escapes from Modified Scarf Hold
d. 3 Escapes from Traditional Scarf Hold
e. 3 Escapes from Knee-On-Stomach
f. 3 Escapes from North/South
g. 3 Escapes from Reverse Scarf hold
h. 3 Escapes from Rear Mount
4. Guard Passing
a. 3 ways to open standing
b. 3 ways to open on knees
c. 5 ways to pass guard
5. Mount
a. 3 chokes
b. 2 arm locks
6. Side Mount
a. 4 arm locks
b. 2 chokes
7. North/South
a. 2 arm locks
b. 1 chokes
8. Guard
a. 6 sweeps when opponent is standing
b. 4 sweeps when opponent is on knees
c. 3 chokes
d. 3 arm locks
9. Knee-on-Belly
a. 2 chokes
b. 3 arm locks
10. Rear Mount
a. 4 chokes
b. 1 arm lock
11. Foot locks
a. Basic foot lock
b. Basic heel hook
12. Transitioning/Positioning - Basically from every major position to the other
13. Combinations - I had a list of basic combinations I wanted students to know

The outline makes it look quick and easy. But, actual requirements that I wanted to see were comprehensive and more detailed. Now that I think back about the basic requirements set back then, I think I would keep most of it even today. The movements are the fundamental techniques that I think every BJJ stylist needs to know. They are "bread and butter" moves used everyday by all top grapplers. Again, these requirements are purely technical. I think now, I'll even add a competition requirement--maybe something like at least 10 competition matches won by submission. This would encourage people to go for the finish instead of playing the point game.

For all you reading this, try going through the brief outline above and see if you can quickly/instinctively go through all the requirements in your head and visualize the moves. If you can, I think you're on top of your fundamentals and are definitely at least a Blue Belt. If not, you might want to do some reviewing. There's no shame in forgetting. But, try not to neglect the basics because you're always going to go back to them.

No comments: