Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Monday, March 3, 2008

Start of a New Week: Morning Sprints and Training with Jeff Glover

Conditioning

Because this is first blog post for PinoyMMA and this journal, I feel that I should give some background information, but knowing exactly where to start and what to write would be too time consuming. Training and school takes up a lot of time, and I also have been working on several business projects. So, I'm just going to jump right in and start this blog out with some thoughts on conditioning and a little segment about today's training.

You hear a lot of different theories and takes on conditioning and how to improve performance. In fact, there are so many methods it can be intimidating trying to learn about them and choosing one to stick with. I do think that everyone reacts differently and you never truly know what works for you until you try "it" - even if a noted authority tells you "it" will work. Based on my own training and conditioning experiences, my body reacts well to popular conditioning programs that are often given to other full contact athletes. Instead of providing a full fledged program right now, let me tell you what I did this morning and put it in context.

I divide my conditioning into periods. For instance, 2 months maybe devoted to building a foundation, then 2 months to improving speed, then 2 months to improving anaerobic endurance, etc. Right now, as I'm working to build back my anaerobic cardio, I'm in a "fundamental" endurance building stage. What I do, to start, is sprint up and down a "flight" of stairs for 1 minute straight, then I jog around for 2 minutes straight. Once I reach the 3 minute mark, I repeat the process for 4 more sets. 15 minutes. That's it.

Now, you might think that's too simple and it won't improve your cardio. If you run balls to the wall for that 1 minute, you will likely feel like your heart is going to explode after the third round. About the results, try it out for two weeks, and I guarantee you will feel a difference when you train. The key though is really pushing yourself. If you can't give it 100% the entire time, your results might differ.

Each week I adjust the intervals. The second week, I do stair for a 1 minute and 30 seconds, and jog for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Then, I repeat the process. Depending on your conditioning, times will vary. You can increase your sprint intervals by only 10 seconds if that is all you can manage. Right now I am on my third week and I am sprinting 1 minute and 45 seconds and jogging 1 minute and 15. If your cardio doesn't permit you to jog, then just walk and try to work up to jogging.

The goal is to eventually sprint up and down a flight of stairs for 5 minutes with 1 minute of rest (jogging, preferably), either for 3 or 5 rounds. I am focused on conditioning myself for MMA, which explains the time scheme I'm using. Give it a try, and if you have any questions or comments, let me know. Feel free to leave a comment here or email me at mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com.

Afternoon Rolling

This afternoon was the second time I got to roll with Jeff Glover. If you guys don't know him, he is one of the best grapplers out there. Jeff came to Undisputed at good time. Baret Yoshida, my brother Mike, Kong, and a few other guys normally train with one another in the afternoon. Jeff was in town again and wanted to roll. (He plans to drop by from time to time.)

Unlike the first time he visited, Baret and Jeff didn't get to roll because Baret is training for a Shooto fight on the 28th and hand to work some stand up. Jeff definitely has some sweet moves and great technique. He seems to have more of a quick, "flowing' style of grappling, in comparison to say, a tight, pressure orientated game. He's a friendly guy and if you have the chance to train with him, I recommend you do so.

I'd like to share something that Jeff mentioned while we were talking after rolling, which I think Pinoy fighters can gain some insight from. It's cross training. Not in styles (although that is important), but cross training with other people who you don't normally train with. Jeff believes that you can't stay in one place for too long, and he makes a lot of sense. If you are rolling with the same people over and over, try to mix it up. If you can't travel around or do not have access to other training partners, vary how you train. For instance, instead of free sparring, choose one aspect of your game that you want to work, and do so the entire time. You might choose to work the straight arm lock from the guard. The main lesson is to mix things up: you training partners, and the way you train. It's one of the fastest ways to get better.

No comments: