Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Developing Strength and Power

If you lift for strength and power, how long do you spend in the gym? 1 hour? 2 hours? 3 hours? How often do you go to the gym? 2, 3, or 5 times a week? Without getting technical and explaining the difference between strength and power (there is a difference), I'm always surprised to hear people tell me they lift to develop strength and/or power [for performance]; yet, they spend about 1.5-2 hours on average in the gym. In addition, their work out programs mimic body building routines having nothing to do with building "real"/functional strength. In the Philippines, I also notice a lot of people who socialize about 10-15 minutes in between sets.

This said, I wanted to offer up some advice and techniques that I have learned from others and have personally developed and tested time and time again. There are many ways to develop strength and/or power. Here, I'll give you several quick tips that revolve around conventional methods (i.e. things you can do in any ordinary gym with common equipment).

First, forget 8-12 reps. I normally go for 1-6. On average, I normally reach 3-4 reps for all of my exercises. Doing 4-6 reps is a good start. Pile on the weight! If you want to develop strength or power, you have to move more weight. If you haven't been increasing the weight every week to two weeks, you might have to change the way you lift.

Second, intensity, intensity, intensity. Focus on the quality and not quantity. Perfect form. Be strict on yourself. If you don't know the right way to lift, do yourself a favor and learn how to lift properly. You don't want to injure yourself. Once you start lifting real heavy, you need perfect form.

Third, get out of the gym within an hour (this includes cardio work). Only body builders stay in the gym for a long time. If you're goal is to look good and not be able to fight at peak performance, then maybe it's a good idea to lift like Mr. Olympia. If you want to be at the top of your fight game, focus on step two, and thinking about developing power. You don't need a "pump" in your muscles. Personally, I'm in the gym no longer than 45 minutes. That includes 20 minutes of cardio. I've been following this time scheme for over a year and am very happy with the results.

Fourth, do Olympic lifts or compound exercises that work more than one muscle part - no isolation exercises, besides calves once in a while. I never do more than 3 exercises per body part, and generally only do 2 exercises. For example, to work my back, I only do traditional pullups (1-6 reps with heavy weight attached to my body), and rows. I also do not do any bicep or tricep exercises. I haven't done any in more than 3 years and believe compound exercises are enough. Again, if you want to be Mr. Olympia, then maybe you'll want to do them.

Fifth tip, forget the machines. Move real iron (i.e. barbells and dumbells).

If you start incorporating these tips, I'm pretty sure you will feel results within 2 weeks. Keep in mind that this is a strength/power routine. You're not going to necessarily feel the pump you get from doing 8-12 reps for 3-5 sets (something bodybuilders do); but, I guarantee you will be stronger and more explosive.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man that's an awesome post! Seriously the few paragraphs posted I learned a lot.

Myles Vives said...

Thanks, Nexus. Hope my tips help you .

Anonymous said...

Definitely a great post! Very informative. I have been doing a lot of isolated exercises. I'm gonna try switching my workout to compound exercises.

Myles Vives said...

reach31,

yeah, try mixing it up. if you've never done power training and a lot of compound exercises, you'll feel a difference.

Anonymous said...

I have a question that is related to this post. How can I be able to control my strength? How will I be able to know when to use the right amount of strength? Say for example when grappling. Or let's say when using strength in things other than MMA.

Myles Vives said...

jtreyes,

Most people learn how and when to use their strength from lots of training time, and/or competition experience. You'll have to experiment a lot with different situations using your own game, and eventually, you'll know what works best for you.