Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Monday, May 26, 2008

Training When Injured - Revisited

UFC 84 was a great card. I loved Silva's match a lot, especially when he was holding Jardine down by the throat in a "where's my money" posture. Awesome. I didn't expect the match to end so soon. I did think it was going to be an exciting stand up fight, but thought Jardine would land some solid blows. He didn't even get to turn on the entire fight! BJ's fight. I guess no one was surprised. I was pretty shocked that only 55% of the people who voted in, thought BJ was going to win. I was expecting much more votes for BJ. Machida, great strategy and continues his winning streak. (For those of you who may not remember, Machida beat BJ in Japan in 2005. Of course, he outweighed BJ by a ton back then and BJ did very well, taking the match all the way to a decision.) Anyway, this weekend should be good, too. Uriah, Jens, Munoz...good fights.

So I received an email from a blog reader who was asking about training while injured, and I thought I'd go into more detail in my answer. I touched up on this subject before, but here's another go.

We all know how it feels to get injured. It sucks. Besides the pain, injuries prevent us from training. Knowing how to train around injuries is an important part of getting better at any sport. For minor injuries, a little bit of ice, some rest, tape and/or braces, and easing back into training often do the trick. However, major injuries are more tricky.

Major injuries do not go away quickly and it's important to not let an injury get worse. Hence, you have to be very smart about how you train, if you are even capable of doing anything physical. For hand, arm and shoulder injuries, for example, you probably won't be able to strike effectively, but you might be able to grapple lightly if you tuck your arm into your belt and work your open guard using just your legs and one arm. If your opponent passes your guard then stop; let your opponent go back into your guard; and then start again. I've done this countless times when I've jacked up my arms in the past, and it helped me really improve my open guard game.

Athletes are stubborn and usually train despite injuries. Smart athletes, however, will train smart when their injured and know how to control their training sessions. Here are some things to keep in mind if you plan to train while healing an injury:

  • Only roll or strike lightly. I think any takedowns are a bad idea when injured.
  • Roll or spar with people who are more advanced and know how to control their power, speed, etc. Stay away from beginners who can injure you.
  • Avoid positions that will place your injured body part in dangerous situations. (e.g. If you have a shoulder injury, don't even bother resisting when someone tries to go for an american/figure four lock on your arm--immediately tap).
  • Tap right away if you even think you are near a position where your injured body part will be affected
When you're recovering from an injury, assuming it's not a lower body injurey, think about doing a lot of cardio/conditioning. You can even try to do some light weight training sessions to keep your body moving so you don't get "soft." Lastly, nuture your mind. Watch a lot of training tapes, competitions, read books. There's still a lot you can do while you're injured. (I'm going through it right now--my shoulder.)

If you keep up with a similar program while you're injured, when you've recovered, you'll still be in the game mentally and ought to still have decent conditioning. Hope this helps.

No comments: