Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Friday, May 9, 2008

I've Said It Before, and I'll Say It Again. . .Focus.

Focus. If you want to get really good at something, you have to focus a lot of your time and effort on that certain thing. The more you put in, the better the results. . .

As I said in my last entry, finals are next week and I will probably miss a few days here and there. I went to LA Boxing today to train and didn't feel like I performed well. I got tired very fast and my movement seemed sluggish.

My mind has been all over the place: thinking about several new job opportunities I have, studying for finals, working on my own business project, training, teaching, etc. etc. Honestly, my mind has been "awake" even while I'm sleeping--I've been waking up constantly the last few nights because of a thought that pops into my head. Clearly, I haven't been sleeping well.

Normally, I can balance everything pretty well, but there are times (like now) where things aren't in perfect harmony. I haven't had the time to really think through my training sessions and devote time to working specific moves or drills. Hopefully, after this crazy weekend of studying, and next week's finals, everything will go back to normal.

I can't emphasize it enough; if you guys want to improve your game, make sure you're working specific areas instead of spreading yourself too thinly. Right now, I feel my training is suffering a bit because of everything else I have to do. I guess it doesn't help that I'm passionate about everything I'm doing and will not give-up one thing for another. (As a side note, I don't believe in the saying "do what you love" because it assumes you can choose one thing over another and your "passion" doesn't change.) However, after exams I'll have more time on my hands and will make sure I'm "focusing."

Hope everyone's training is going well.

No comments: