Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Back to the Basics

(LA Boxing in Rancho Penasquitos)

I ended up not going to the fights yesterday in Mexico. As the day went by, I was getting a little lazy to drive and did have some work I wanted to finish. Also, I wasn't excited to hear that there have been a good number of shootings lately in Tijuana. I was glad that I decided to stay home because I was productive and did what I needed to do. Four guys from Undisputed competed and they were 2-2. One fighter didn't compete because his opponent backed out for some reason.

I spent pretty much the entire morning today at LA Boxing. It was their grand opening. They have a good number of students who've enrolled and it's going to be interesting to see how crowded the place gets during weekday evenings.

I taught group classes yesterday and today, and also a private lesson. The students were beginners, but I hear there are a good number of experienced people who joined. They will probably start training during the week. Because most of the students will be beginners, it's going to be a great way for me to review and train basic techniques. I plan to limit the number of moves I use and focus primarily on one fundamental movement or position every night or week. It's been a long while since I've had a chance to dedicate a good amount of time simply focusing on particular techniques and timing (because of school), so teaching at LA Boxing will give me that opportunity.

So far everything is looking good. The facility is nice and the people are great. Ali, the owner is a a great guy and really wants to provide a solid program for people who want to compete or those who just want a good workout. Chris, Donovan--the staff--and the trainers all bring a lot of energy to the gym and it will be fun seeing them regularly. After giving our comments to Ali, there will be a few "improvements" to the gym to provide a better training environment (e.g. the mat area will have a padded wall or cage).

I noticed there are a lot of Filipinos in the area. There's even a Filipino restaurant a few doors down from LA Boxing. I saw huge signs with "Lumpia" and "Pancit." I have a feeling there will be a lot of Pinoys who enroll. It was cool to hear that some of the Pinoy students I taught this weekend
have been reading my training blog, even before they knew I was going to teach at LA Boxing. Anyway, it will be nice to have a good number of Pinoys training hard in the gym.

No comments: