Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thoughts on Brandon Vera's Recent Fight, Anderson Silva, and Affliction Banned

Brandon Vera fought on Ultimate Fight Night tonight against Reese Andy. Brandon moved down in weight and looked leaner, but I think cutting weight negatively affected his performance. Reese didn't perform like you would expect a UFC fighter to, yet, Brandon had difficulty finishing Reese off. After Reese threw several kicks, it was clear Brandon's stand up was much better. In fact, I didn't think this was a good match up. I thought Brandon was going to murder Reese. However, the fact that Brandon cut weight probably was what made the match go the distance. Dehydration and a lack of energy are common side effects of cutting weight. Some people can do it well, some people can't. It will be interesting to see what weight class Brandon continues to compete at. If he decides to stay at the light heavy division, I'm sure he'll have to change his eating/training habits.

Anderson Silva. Textbook counter. The punch was perfectly placed. The first punch is what started it all, and the second punch that landed flush on Irvin's face was the nail in the coffin. I was curious to see the match and thought the match might have some good exchanges. Well, there was one very good, very quick exchange. Silva is awesome.

Affliction Banned had some great fights tonight, too - 3 KOs, 1 TKO, 3 submissions...I thought the match ups were good overall, but I had my favorites. All of the people I thought would win did win. I had no doubt that Fedor was going to win, and win he did (rear naked choke in round 1). Barnett versus Rizzo was one match I was excited about. I think Barnett is a great fighter - a great balance between power and technique. I thought he was going to win and he didn't disappoint (KO round 2). Barnett has been in the game for a long time, but I still hope to see much more of him. Curious to know what Affliction has in store for their next event.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fedor is not human!

Anonymous said...

Good to see you blogging again. Just letting you know there are peeps reading it :)