Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Monday, July 21, 2008

Manny Pacquiao versus Miguel Torres???

No, this match isn't going to happen, but some people have been fantasizing about this match. I came across the thread on the PinoyMMA forum. Apparently people around the world have posted about this in international forums. In any case, I thought I'd add my two cents to the mix.

Who would win in an MMA match? Miguel. Hands down. MMA isn't boxing. Who would win in a boxing match? Manny. Hands down. Boxing isn't MMA. Get the point? I think Manny is a superb athlete. He's proven it many times in the ring. He's a great boxer. However, for him to enter the MMA world and be successful would take some time. Personally, I say 2-3 years of solid MMA training. He would have to devote most of his time learning MMA and would not be able to work on his boxing as much as he does right now.

I don't think a year would be long enough. I think 2-3 years would give him a very good foundation and he could start fighting against some decent MMA fighters. I don't think he could face top competitors like Miguel Torres. (Coincidentally, Miguel and I used to train with Carlson Gracie Sr. in Chicago before Carlson passed away.) Just like any sport or art, it takes some time to get good. Who knows? Maybe Pacquiao is a natural in MMA and picks everything up real quick. Conversely, he might be a natural in boxing, but for some reason, MMA might not come easy to him. It happens to a lot of people. They are good at one sport, and aweful at another.

It would definitely be interesting to see a match up between Pacquiao and a noted MMA flyweight. I think he could do good if he devoted a couple of years to MMA, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

No comments: