Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Respect & Training Etiquette

When people talk about mixed martial arts, it's usually about training, competitions, motivation, techniques, and even nutrition and supplementation. You don't hear many people talk about proper training etiquette or respect. Well, I decided to write about that today. Here's why. . .

A few weeks ago, I was teaching a class and a "sandbagger" (i.e. someone who pretends to be a beginner) came to train. We talked before class a bit and he said he's trained for a couple months. It took me only a few seconds to realize this guy was full of it (which I honestly didn't care much about him lying to me). When I explained a technique, the guy wouldn't listen and gave the impression that he knew it all. When he partnered up to do technique, he didn't listen to me call out the steps and used a lot of resistance when beginners were trying to do their reps on him. When it came to sparring time, this guy was toying with all the beginners and basically disrespecting them.

Now, it takes a lot to get me truly pissed off, about anything. I hardly get angry and I rarely am "violent." But certain things at certain times put me over the edge. This guy, well, he pushed all the right buttons. I don't care if people disrespect me by not sticking to the technique I teach or if they don't continue to do reps like I instruct. I don't mind because if they think they know a technique enough to not practice, then that's up to them - even though I know they aren't "masters" at the technique. However, when someone disrespects other students, especially beginners, the way this guy did, it's another story.

To my delight, the guy called me out to spar. I've been telling people for the past few years that since I started my law and mba studies, I haven't been able to turn on that "killer instinct" when I train. I've even told people that they have to get me pissed off and angry or else I'll just be on cruise control when training. I used to be able to turn "it" on whenever I wanted to and always did my best in that zone. But these days, my brain is busy working on other things. Anyway, for the first time in almost 3 years, I found myself extremely pumped to train. In a nutshell, I tried to rip off the guys limbs off. After our round, he stopped sparring, wouldn't talk to anyone, and sat to the side by himself. He no longer was disrespecting the other students and me.

Fast forward to this week. Someone very close to me tells me that this same "sandbagger" went to another school to train. Same story. He was disrespectful. What did the instructor do to the guy? Let's say he did something I wanted to do but couldn't at that time (there were a number of older women watching while waiting to take a boxing class).

What's the whole moral of the story? Learn to show some respect and use proper training etiquette. This is not an exhaustive list and merely reflects some of the more common things I encounter, in no particular order.

1. When someone is teaching, listen. It's simple. Show respect and be polite. Even if it's the most basic technique in the world and you know it like the back of your hand.

2. If an instructor tells you to do a certain technique a certain way, do it. You can experiment and that's often encouraged, but first put in a good amount of time doing the technique as explained.

3. Keep doing reps until you're told to move on - again, it's about being respectful of others. This happens a lot, especially with the arrogant students in class. They do a technique a few times, then either stop, or worse, start to play instructor themselves. As I mentioned above, I usually let them be. I will tell them to keep doing the reps a couple of times, but if they persist, they won't hear from me again.

4. Use control in all of your techniques. First, this will increase your performance because if you can execute techniques without a lot of strength and speed, imagine what you can do when you add all of your physical attributes to your technique. Second, you won't injure your training partners. Third, other students will be more willing to spar with you.

5. If a lot of you are training on a mat, ring, or cage, the area can get cramped quickly as partners get near each other. In these situations, it's normally the lower ranking or less experienced students who have to move and find space. The senior guys normally can stay where they are. Now, I believe that everyone should be treated equally, but this process actually makes sparring and drilling run smoother.

6. If you are rolling, doing take downs, etc. and you accidentally hit or bump the pair next to you, be polite. Say sorry. You won't believe how many people fail to do this. In my experience, I'd say less that 20%.

7. Keep you, your equipment, and the gym clean. For instance, I can't understand how people can go walk barefoot into the restroom, then out to the street, then all over a gym floor, then start sparring on the mats. Ringworm or staph anyone?

Again, there's a lot more. The basic point is to make sure you're respectful and practice a decent degree of training etiquette. Everyone will like you more for doing so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree on all points. And may I add having good personal hygiene on the etiquette list? There are actually some gross individuals who go barefooted to the comfort room & come back to the mat again. I wish they would use flip flops at least. And cut your nails & wash your gi please. Just to avoid the spread of ringworm, warts, staph, & other nasty bugs.

Myles Vives said...

Tell me about it...I hate it when people do that.