Welcome to Myles Vives's MMA Training Journal for Fighters in the Philippines! By PinoyMMA.com

PinoyMMA's mission is about helping Filipino fighters get better. Pinoys have tremendous potential, and I want to help develop their MMA ability by sharing my knowledge and experience. Here, I'll blog about my personal training sessions, various competitions and events, and random thoughts about martial arts, offering personal advice to help Filipino fighters excel. I encourage all of you to get involved too, posting your suggestions, comments, and valuable insights. We all can play a role in taking our fighters to the next level.

Myles Vives
mylesvives[at]pinoymma[dot]com

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Belt Promotions

What do you guys think? Can or should a person go through a test for a belt, or is competition/mat performance and time really more important? Personally, I value performance much more than giving any kind of belt test. I do see the value in a belt test though, and for some academies, it's probably the best way to go. However, I like the old school way of having to train long and hard, making a lot of mistakes, and having to discover things on your own (instead of having a curriculum handed to you). It makes everything more challenging, and to me, much, much more fulfilling.

Whatever your opinion is though, to promote a person based on performance is something that takes longer. What do i mean? It takes time for me to see if a student knows what he or she has to know for a particular level and can apply those techniques and strategies. For example, if a student I met only 2 or 3 times came in to take a class, and was killing all the blues and purples, I wouldn't automatically say he is a blue, purple, or even a brown belt. Because I don't know the person well and haven't seen the person roll many times (and haven't rolled with the person myself many times), I don't really know if he or she has the technical skills of a blue, purple, etc. belt. Maybe the person is whipping ass because he or she is really strong rather than technical. This person may not know anything about escaping the mount or passing the guard. How could I promote this person to a higher belt? The answer's simple. I wouldn't. They'd have to spend as much time as everyone else on the mat.

I bring this all up because a MMA fighter who has trained for quite some time wants to finally move up in the BJJ ranks. He asked if I can test and promote him if he passes. I have never rolled with this guy with a gi though. Who knows? He might not even know how to do a lapel choke! In similar scenerios, maybe a formal test would work better. But, I didn't go that route. I simply said, "There's no test. Just start coming to class and rolling . . .If you deserve it, in time, you'll get it."

8 comments:

JC said...

i'm no bjj practicioner but i'm a fan of mma.

just a suggestion, maybe it would be a better basis for promoting the person up a rank/belt based on both giving him a test and his competition performance. Coz even if for example, you give him the test and promoted him, if he doesn't do well in competitions. Then his promotion would become questionable.

Myles Vives said...

Doing both would definitely be ideal. I think that if a person trains with a particular instructor long enough though, regularly, an instructor can tell if a student is ready even without formal test.

Anonymous said...

What if there is no black belt around to promote you?

Diego said...

I dont believe in Belt tests. I feel that there are certain transitions, positions, and other technical aspects that a person should know to move up the rankings. I am no black belt but I have trained at quite a few academies and the discrepancy between how they promote is quite large. I've met blues and purples who really dont have the basics down. On the other hand Ive met whitebelts that are amazing on the mat.

The way you encourage and recognize progress in an academy is a tough decision. For me, as a student, the instructors who told me not to worry about belts and to just keep working on my game made me feel more motivated to be in the gym. On the other hand Ive seen many more people give up jiujitsu because they were just frustrated that they were not "moving up".

Diego said...

anonymous brings up a good point. do you need to be a black belt to promote? theres a big debate on that issue as well.

I believe if someone is a brown or above they should be able to promote.

Myles Vives said...

Hey guys, good comments. I can't give you the correct answer because I think it all depends. I can give you my opinion.

There are different kinds of people who train. Some people really want and need a belt to be motivated. Other, just train because they love to train and learn more. In my experience, the latter always do better because they are self-motivated. This isn't the case only in martial arts, but in almost everything else (e.g. work and school).

So, if I were in the predicament of having to train without a black belt to promote me, I wouldn't really mind. Frankly, I did this for over 8 years. I would take trips back and forth from the Philippines to the U.S., but in total, I was training myself and my team for over 8 years.

Now, if you are the type who needs to get promoted, do your best to visit the nearest black belt you can, as much as you can (even if that is only once a year). You have to do what you have to do.

In regards to the promoting question, I think only a black belt should promote. Some special circumstances/situations may call for a brown belt to promote, but I still don't like the idea and these occasions are not very common. Here's a quick and dirty "illustration": if you've been working towards a promotion at your job, would you want to be recognized by your immediate manager, or by the CEO?

Anonymous said...

Both belt testing & competition/mat performance is important. I think the belt test is more to confirm whether you know the techniques in detail so that in the event that you get to teach, you'll be teaching the right technique to the students. On mat performance, this is where you could judge a student's timing, transitions, how he applies the technique as well as gameplan.

Anonymous said...

I'm not exactly sure what moving up means here. I think perspective needs to be in place first, and I'm not sure what it is here..

Doing this for 35 years solid, i agree a belt means little these days, but i might point out that competition is the same with regards to proving your worth as a total Marital artist or a tough guy. I have lived in trained all over Asia and seen so many different styles and people that in my words are what i call a master of themseleves.

Competition is just that, little of it has practial street application unless your opponent is welling to play fairly and while your grappling on the concrete his mates are kicking you in the head. Likewise performing scripted kumite is about the same.

Competition is for sport, and old style training is a life commitment. The too shouldnt be compared, as for myself.. I trained traditionaly as a kid (learned values)competed hard core from 18 to 35. And now back to my roots so i can continue to grow until i cant walk anymore. I was in the ultimate shape when i was competing and now i find daily my techinique is becoming more and more flawless with regards to striking and blocking. Just something to think about. The two methods of reaching ones goals are very different and i don't think they should be compared. Want to be great at MMA go to a gym, want to improve you mind, health and challenge yourself your hole life.. go to a real dojo.. Want to be a complete bad ass do all the above.. lol

Just my words nothing here meant to disrepect any ones choices, train hard and you will reach your goals

Cheers!